To keep the hair beautiful, many people are applying a healthy diet and keeping the hair clean all the time with shampoo and hair conditioner. They are all good habits, but have you ever thought of using homemade hair masks?
Some proofs applying hair masks at home several times a week will improve the condition of your hair, and repair hair problems.
Keep reading; we are going to discover more about homemade hair masks: what they are, how they work and what hair problems they can fix.
What are homemade hair masks?
Hair masks are often used as a therapy to treat damaged hair or to nourish the hair. Usually, they are made of hydrating ingredients such as eggs, butter, oil or milk.
Hair masks will not show their benefits soon but slowly through long-term usage. Hair masks are preferred more nowadays because they nurture the hair better than shampoo and conditioner, even right after the first use.
If your hair has been through too many damages caused by heat, chemicals or poor eating diet, you should think about using hair masks. They provide essential nutrients to nourish your hair, prevent breakage and make your hair healthier.
Many hair masks also give us pleasant smell, make us feel comfortable when using.
How to use homemade hair masks properly?
Homemade hair masks can only show their best effects when being used in the right way. Here is a brief instruction to use hair masks and nurture our hair.
First of all, you need to wash your hair clean. Use the type of shampoo that suits your hair type. After that, as usual, apply conditioner to soften the hair.
Second of all, wear a hair mask on. Usually, homemade hair masks require from 3 to 5 minutes to make and about 20-30 minutes to stay on your hair. It allows all the nutrients to penetrate deeply into the hairpieces.
And lastly, remove the hair mask with clean cool or slightly warm water. After applying the hair mask, you can restyle your hair in however you want. Your hair is now totally refreshed.
Any hair mask works best when you apply them regularly at least once a week. For extremely damaged hair, you should use homemade hair masks twice to thrice a week.
Top 7+ homemade hair masks for dry and damaged hair
Milk and honey homemade hair mask for dry hair
Experts recommend an effective formula for hair mask to treat dry hair with milk and honey. Dry hair needs more moisture, so milk and honey are the very first choices.
Milk contains fat to soften the hair and lactic acid to clean dead cells. Meanwhile, honey helps avoid losing moistures very well because it is a natural humectant. The hereafter instruction is how you can make hair masks with milk and honey at home.
- Prepare half a cup of fat milk and one teaspoon of honey.
- Mix them until they combine thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture in a spray bottle and spray onto the scalp and the whole hair after the washing step.
- Wrap your head with a shower cap or a big clean towel for 20-30 minutes. After that, rinse off thoroughly.
Let your hair dry naturally.
You should use raw honey so that the remedy is even more effective. In case honey is not available, milk alone, as a moisturizer, is already an excellent natural choice for dry hair treatment.
Avocado and olive oil hair mask for damaged hair
Avocado contains antioxidants, together with natural essential oils and fatty acids. The ingredients act very well when penetrating deeply into the hairpieces to repair the damages and regenerate healthy hair.
On the other hand, olive oil, with nutrients like vitamins A and E, helps cure the hair problems with more hydration.
To treat damaged hair with this hair mask, you need to:
- Blend a mashed avocado with two tablespoons of olive oil.
- After washing your hair, apply the mixture on the hair and let it be for around 30 minutes.
- Rinse off the hair mask and rewash your hair.
In case your hair is oily, avoid applying the hair mask directly onto the scalp. Essential oils in avocado will make your scalp look greasy.
Eggs, honey, olive oil, and mayonnaise hair mask for curly hair
You need to balance the protein and the moisture to take care of curly hair. Moisture in olive oil and honey helps your hair look shiny and flexible, while the protein in eggs and mayonnaise maintains the structure of curly hair.
It just takes a few minutes to make a homemade hair mask for curly hair as below.
- Blend an egg, one tablespoon of honey, one tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons of mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Apply the paste on your washed hair, and let it stay on the hair for half an hour approximately.
- Wash your hair carefully right after so it will not look greasy.
This formula of hair mask can somehow leave greases on your hair, so make sure you remove the mask. Shampoo again if necessary.
Oatmeal hair mask for dandruff
Oatmeal is a great ingredient to treat dandruff on the scalp. Many women agree that using oatmeal hair mask helps their hair look more beautiful, healthy and clean.
- Mix ½ cup of oatmeal with three tablespoons of warm milk and one tablespoon of warm almond oil.
- Massage the scalp with this paste and leave it to cover your hair and head skin for about 1 hour.
- Rinse off with warm water.
This remedy is an excellent choice for people who are suffering from dandruff. Furthermore, it also clears the follicles and moisturizes your hair effectively.
Onion hair mask for quick growth
Although the smell of onion seems uncomfortable for many of us, the benefits of onion to hair growth is easy to realize. Sulfur content in onions helps the production of collagen so that it boosts hair follicles to grow.
You can make an onion hair mask with the following steps:
- Mix ¼ cup of red onion juice with one tablespoon of honey.
- Apply the mixture on the scalp for at least 30 minutes.
- Rewash your hair with warm water.
The hair mask recipe works well when you apply it once to twice a week.
Essential oil, eggs and avocado hair mask for split ends
When split ends appear, it means your hair has been damaged to some extent. In this case, avocado can help like mentioned above.
Essential oil, at the same time, boosts hair growth and treat hair problems such as split ends. Eggs provide protein to improve hair texture and make the hair shinier.
- Mix mashed avocado, an egg, five drops of rosemary essential oil, five drops of sage essential oil and a tablespoon of castor oil in a mixing bowl.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and let it be for 40-45 minutes.
- Rinse off the mask with clean, warm water.
Repeat using the remedy once a week or more so that it works perfectly.
Apple cider vinegar and lavender essential oil for oily hair
Apple cider vinegar balances the pH level and controls oil secretion. It also helps your hair become softer and shinier. Meanwhile, lavender essential oil absorption promotes hair and scalp health.
- Make this hair mask with the following instructions:
- Mix raw organic apple cider vinegar in water with the ratio 1:1. Add ten drops of lavender essential oil and stir to combine.
- Spread the hair mask on the scalp and hair thoroughly for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
Like almost all homemade hair masks, you should repeat using this remedy 3-4 times a week so it can work the most effectively. For oily hair.
Banana, coconut oil, olive oil and egg hair mask for bleached hair
You want to try a new hairstyle, which requires you to bleach the hair. You worry that it will damage your hair severely. For sure bleached hair is the most vulnerable hair condition to suffer from.
The combination is an excellent choice for homemade hair mask for bleached hair:
- Blend 1 ripe banana, one tablespoon coconut oil, one teaspoon olive oil and one egg together in a bowl.
- Apply this over your hair and scalp. Use gloves to cover your hands and massage gently.
- Leave the mask on hair for at least 20 minutes. Then rinse it off with clean, warm water.
You should repeat using the remedy several times a week to see the best results.
The bottom line
Hopefully, the sharing above is informative and useful for you. Decide which homemade hair masks will work well on your hair type and try to apply it regularly. You will see a massive difference and problems disappear gradually if you are patient and put real efforts in.
Do not hesitate to follow Layla Hair for more exciting tips and sharing related to hair care and hairstyle!