The white flakes and itching make you feel embarrassed and crazy. This is a common sign of dandruff. It appears in flake and more visible in the dark base hair color. Often, dandruff falls on your pillow, shoulders, and collars. The scalp issue happens in all ages, from teenagers to the elderly. Don’t skip this post to know what is dandruff, causes, and how to treat it.
What Is Dandruff In The Scalp?
Dandruff is not a serious health issue but it makes you become crazy. It is a scalp problem, your dry scalp will lead to dead skin cells and shed. What color is it? It comes in white flakes and sticks to your hair strands. Dandruff makes you feel uncomfortable and itchy. Many think that this problem is caused by improper washing. But it is only a small reason. Your hair type and how often you wash your natural locks also affect the scalp condition. The dry scalp causes white flakes. White flakes starts at the age of 10 and lasts longer. It also influences about 40% of people at the age of 30.
What is dandruff made of? Died skin cells in your scalp are also the issue. Malassezia – a genus of fungi that can cause dry scalp and flakes. It lives on the skin surface and does not cause any health problems. The fast rate of replacing dead skin cells on the scalp leads to dandruff. It combines with sebum (natural oil) cause dead cells in the dry flake form.
Fun facts about dandruff:
– It is a common condition of scalp problems. Still, it is difficult to treat permanently.
– Not related to dirt or clean scalp.
– When you wash or brush your tresses, these white flakes can be removed.
– Visit your doctor or dermatologist if the condition gets severe.
What is the difference between dandruff and dry scalp?
Is there any link between dry scalp and dandruff? If your scalp is dry and flaking, it may cause dandruff. But it is not a condition of dry scalp. We are sure that many people confuse them when they have the same signs. Both of them appear flakes and falls down when washing or brushing. Also, they cause an itchy feeling. However, bear in mind that they are different scalp problems.
How can I distinguish between these conditions? It’s the appearance. If you are experiencing dry scalp, flakes are smaller and less oily compared to dandruff. Besides, unlike dandruff, dry skin can occur in other parts of the body.
What is the cause of dandruff you should know?
There are different reasons causing dandruff. Check it now:
– Nutrition deficiency: Dandruff is a sign of the lack of nutrients. You know our scalp needs vitamins and minerals to grow hair follicles. If you don’t get enough vitamin B groups (including B2, B3, B6), proteins, and zinc, you may suffer from this scalp issue. To improve the condition, follow a balanced diet. Eat fish, meat, and vegetables that rich in nutrients.
– Use improper hair care products: This is another reason causing the scalp problem. Many ceratin products can trigger red and itchy scalp, irritate your skin. If you are lazy in washing your tresses, the buildup of dust, oil and dead skin cells will lead to white flakes. However, washing the hair too frequently is not good.
– Seborrheic dermatitis: What is dandruff caused by? It is a common skin disease and always appears in the scalp, eyebrows, and noses. These parts have a lot of oil-producing glands. Hence, people with seborrheic dermatitis are more likely to get infected. The scalp will be covered with flaky white scales.
– Brush improperly: Not enough hair brushing also results in the scalp problem. So combing your natural locks frequently to lessen the risk. It helps slow down the shedding of dead skin cells process.
– Dry scalp in winter: What is dandruff caused by? Someone with dry skin is more likely to experience white hair flakes, and it is more common in cold days. The cold weather contributes to leading to itchy and flaking skin.
Flawless Ways To Remove Dandruff
Switch up your shampoo
Opt for the proper product to wash your natural locks. Use over-the-counter (OTC) shampoos to sort out of dandruff and combine to massage your scalp. Remove dandruff permanently is impossible, but you can lessen the risk of this condition. Follow the instruction on the shampoo and shampoo twice a week is enough. Focus on the affected areas such as your scalp, ears.
However, you need time to find the best shampoo for yourself; hence, making mistakes is not evitable. Your children are also getting dandruff since their scalp is sensitive. You should use a baby-gentle and safe product to get rid of dandruff.
Use lemon juice
This home remedy works perfectly to get rid of dandruff. You create a mixture of lemon juice, sea salt, and lukewarm water. Spray the mix into your scalp evenly and gently massage. Cover your head or tie your natural locks into a bun. Continue spraying the lemon water and leave it on your head for about one hour. Once the time is up, shampoo your hair as you would normally do. Repeat this method twice weekly to reach good results.
Limit scratch your scalp
The simple action help lessen dandruff symptoms. When washing and brushing your tresses, try not to think about pulling hair and scratching the scalp. It irritates your scalp, we know. You will feel itchy and more white flakes.
Also, limit using hair styling products (gel, mousse, and more) if you notice its symptoms. Because they make the scalp problem become worse.
Hopefully, you will know what is dandruff and how to get rid of it after reading this post. We hope our post can help you somehow. If you notice spotting white flakes, follow the above treatments to improve your hair and scalp state.
Should you have any questions about scalp problems, kindly contact us or leave your comments below. Also, browse to Layla’s blog to get more haircare tips. We are prepared to help you!